Friday, May 18, 2007

Settling in

...so I've been living (!) in the US for a week now and here's a list of the things I've already accomplished:
  • Applied for my Social Security number. I love sitting around for TWO HOURS while the bloody employees take their lunch break and shut one of the (two) teller windows down. SERIOUSLY!
  • Setup my savings account, checking account and applied for a credit card
  • Looked foolish when I asked the Personal Banker "What's a checking account?"
  • Finished my orientation for my "new" job
  • Met a few of my work colleagues at Long Island University
  • Gotten drunk with my boss. Well, drunk and kinda woozy. God bless red wine and Tylenol Extra Strength
  • Farted in front of my boss (happened in the first 10 minutes of meeting)
  • Eaten at White Castle (happened on the first night)
  • Gotten drunk with Riss thus continuing the rule that "First night Ray is in NYC we must drink". And to think Riss and Steve walked into the bar and said "We're only staying for one drink".
  • Drunk-called friends back home. Nothing says "I love you" like slurring into a mobile phone outside a gay bar at 2.30am.

Things still left to accomplish:

  • Start my project (hopefully next week)
  • Get an apartment
  • Receive my credit card
  • Do everything else that requires a US credit card (join a gym...buy movie tickets online...)
  • Matt to arrive (less than two weeks! YAY!)

Song of the day: "Can't Take My Eyes Off You" - Lauren Hill