Wednesday, August 15, 2007

New York State of Mind

...so I know it's been a month since my last blog posting. What can I say? Everyone knows what I'm doing on Facebook anyway!

I've been in New York for 3 months and 5 days now - some random thoughts:
  • You can't walk a block without taking in a whiff of urine.
  • You can't walk a block without taking in a whiff of garbage.
  • You get used to the smell of urine and garbage.
  • I know I was never short of alcohol in Sydney, but the past three months have been ridiculously vicious to my poor, poor liver.
  • There's no such thing as a "quiet drink".
  • Living in Chelsea rocks. It's walking distance from Macy's, Union Square, the Meatpacking District and most of the bars and clubs we go to.
  • My definition of "walking distance" differs greatly from Americans. e.g. From our apartment to the Meatpacking District is the equivalent of walking from my old apartment in Pyrmont (*single tear*) into the city.
  • Contrary to popular belief, New Yorkers are the friendliest people on Earth.
  • Not only are they friendly, but somehow you end up hanging out regularly after a chance five minute encounter.
  • Always tip the bartender big on the first round of drinks. The karma returns to you - usually in the form of shots.
  • I sound more Aussie the drunker I get.
  • Ironically, I've spoken more to my sister (who lives in Brisbane) living in NYC than when I lived in Sydney.
  • I miss BYO restaurants. It's never the cost of the food that kills you in this city, it's adding the cost of a bottle of wine, plus tax and tip. Suddenly dinner for two at the local Thai place costs $80 (when in Sydney it would've cost $30)
  • Matt has already seen Sarah Jessica Parker walking around the Meatpacking district.
  • My top 5 celebrity sighting goals in NYC are: Sarah Jessica Parker, Julia Stiles, Jennifer Lopez, Heath Ledger and Spike Lee. Of those, I've only seen Spike Lee.
  • I'm absolutely loving it here.

Song of the Day: "Wait For You" - Elliott Yamin