Thursday, December 15, 2005

Brokeback Mountain

...so Matt and I went to The Grove last night with my workmates John, Vera and John's partner Ed to watch "Brokeback Mountain" (the gay cowboy movie with Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhall) and I gotta say...it's pretty damnedy good. You could take away the gay sex and making out scenes and it'd STILL be damnedy good. That's saying something.

I honestly don't know how it'll play in the rest of this country (i.e. outside of LA, San Francisco and New York) but here's hoping it opens a few minds. I was talking about it with Matt this morning and it's really refreshing to go see a gay-themed movie where no one is a hairdresser or fashion-obsessed or does the bend-and-snap. Granted it was the 1960's, but still.

My point is...when it comes to your town GO SEE IT! Even you straight men! You actually see more female nudity than male. Who knew that that chick from the Princess Diaries had such huge knockers?

On our next-movies-to-watch list: Memoirs of a Geisha and King Kong.

On another note, I'd say the audience for the movie was about 75% gay male. I overheard a conversation behind me about this guy telling this other guy about his new boyfriend...and I quote "We've been dating since August and he can barely speak English but he gets great discounts at the Four Seasons!". *sigh* One step forward, two steps back for my people...

Song of the Day: "A Love That Will Never Grow Old" - Emmylou Harris