Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Hell Week

...so last week was one of the most draining weeks in our existence EVER. You know that old expression "When it rains, it pours?". Last week was our Noah's Ark. In the span of one week:

My older sister, Maria (who is THE strongest, bravest person I know) had a heart attack on Saturday. She was in a coma on the weekend but fortunately she came out of it fully by the Tuesday. I was telling Matt that nothing prepares you for seeing a loved one in hospital. My sis has been through it all before and so she's one of those "Don't give me sympathy" types. The hardest thing was putting a brave face in front of my sister when all you want to do is collapse.

The light at the end of the tunnel is that she's doing much better now. She was out of intensive care at the end of last week and was placed in Coronary Care Unit. Today's she's getting a defibrillator fitted (You know those big paddles that jump start the heart? Do you know they make mini ones and attach it to your heart? Techno-nogical!) which should regulate things. It'll be a slow road to recovery but I'm thankful that she'll get there.

Last week also, Matt's auntie was diagnosed with cancer. We visited her in hospital on the weekend and the diagnosis doesn't look good. She's surrounded by family though and isn't in pain which I guess is all we can ask for right now.

Oh and finally...I came out to my parents last week. That's a story I'll reserve for when we're having a drink or three. :)

THANK YOU to all our friends who have lent us a shoulder to lean on. Your support has been invaluable and our families are very grateful. I'm convinced everyone's positive energy has been transferred to our loved ones in some way.

Song of the Day: "Sunshine" - Ricki-Lee Coulter