Friday, April 07, 2006

Thin

...so as some of you may be aware I've lost a bit of weight in the past year. 12 kilograms (26.5 pounds) to be exact. I didn't actually realise I was that fat. In hindsight I should have known because I couldn't fit into my size 28 jeans at all. My size 30 jeans were super tight, and I found myself buying size 32 jeans to be comfortable. I guess ignorance really IS bliss.

That all changed when I saw this picture:


There's Matt looking all toned and there's me looking...not so much. *shudder* Thanks Googz, by the way, for taking that picture. You really captured the shadows on my rolls. :P

Anyway, that was November 2004 on a beach in Mykonos. When we got back from that vacation, Matt dragged (YES - Against my will!) me into a gym and before you know it I had signed up for 12 months and 3 personal training sessions.

It was a struggle at first. I'd find myself dying after 5 minutes on the treadmill "running" at 8km/h (5mp/h). Gradually it become a little easier...and then a lot easier. Whereas before I was barely capable of running 3kms (1.86 miles) in 20 minutes, now I run it in less than 14 minutes.

I didn't, however, change my eating habits TOO much. I don't drink full strength (and by that I mean calorie-wise) soft drinks anymore (I really miss Mountain Dew!). I try not to snack - Matt and I don't even bother going into the aisles in the supermarket with biscuits, chocolate and chips anymore. I still eat KFC around once a week and all that good stuff, though. I'd cry if I couldn't eat KFC anymore. If they had KFC-flavoured biscuits, chocolate and chips here I'd be in trouble...

What's the best part of being thin(ner) you ask?

1. The compliments. Compliments to a gay man about how he looks are like energon cubes for an autobot. It's what we live on.
2. Being able to fit into my muscle shirts again AKA gay-clubbing-uniform. Not to say I didn't wear them when I was heavier, but as Matt put it, I was dressing "kinda inappropriately". Which is nice-speak for "Your saggy man boobs are showing in that Abercrombie muscle T".
3. The increased confidence. I guess that's a side effect of points 1 and 2.

I'd write more but I gotta head to the gym. ;)

Song of the Day: "Pump It" - Black Eyed Peas (one of the songs on my iPod workout playlist!)